Hei from Australia

Discuss different Glimt-related topics in english.

Moderators: Sulliken, Larsen

Kesseboy

Post by Kesseboy »

Bit late, but I'll give you some insight:

As you know, Norway is a fairly large country. The infrastructure and the prices don't exactly encourage people going to all the away games, it would quickly be a huge cost and, for example, it's not always possible to get back home to work on monday morning after a sunday night game. Oslo Airport Gardermoen is the hub in that way -- if you want to travel from Bodø to anywhere else except Tromsø or Trondheim, you have to go via Oslo.

There are supporter groups in Oslo and Trondheim (formally) and Bergen (informally, as of yet), and these try to organize trips to away games in those areas. The group in Oslo (at the moment called "GLIS" - Glimt i sør) is the oldest one, with more experience, more members and more teams within a sensible time of travel. The group in Trondheim ("GIM", Glimt i midten), which I am part of, is only in it's second season, but has had trips to Molde and Aalesund by bus. Sadly we had to cancel the planned trip to Sogndal due to lack of interest among our members.

Usually, if there are away games shown on either TV or web-TV, we try to get together and watch the game in a pub or something like that.
Når du forventer det verste. Venter på at det skal skje. Og så skjer det.

Glimtfølelsen.
Kesseboy

Post by Kesseboy »

I'm aware that Australia is a pretty big country (or continent? :shock:), and I didn't expect the distances to be any shorter than here. But when you speak of travel time of one to two and a half hours by plane, I find it a bit amusing. From Bodø you can go to Trondheim or Tromsø by plane in about an hour, maybe a bit less, or by train in 10 hours to Trondheim -- there is no train to Tromsø. :lol: Two hours flight to Oslo, give or take, and then I'm not really sure about flight time to other relevant destinations (as I said previously, any other place than Trondheim or Tromsø requires you to go via Oslo).

But it's interesting to see that there are attendances of nearly 40,000 at home (for at least some team), but hardly any travelling crowd. Do you contribute this to the lack of (dedicated) supporter culture, or anything else?

Glimtfølelsen.
Sulliken

Post by Sulliken »

The flight time between oslo and Bodø is actually 1 hour 20 minutes.
The North belongs to Bodø.
-Faris Moumbagna
Kesseboy

Post by Kesseboy »

Oh? Not more? My bad. But then you can just add to the transfer time. :winke:

Glimtfølelsen.
Kesseboy

Post by Kesseboy »

Bodø-Oslo along the road is 1,215.6 km according to a map service. So you're not too far off, no. :lol:

Glimtfølelsen.
Lars Hasvoll Bakke
Polemikonstabel

Post by Lars Hasvoll Bakke »

Let's just hope that the penguins on Norwegian-held Bouvet Island aren't planning on setting up a professional football team anytime soon.
Kesseboy

Post by Kesseboy »

I can assure you, if they have a plan, it will be much, much more sinister. :twisted:

Glimtfølelsen.
Lars Hasvoll Bakke
Polemikonstabel

Post by Lars Hasvoll Bakke »

That sounds extremely close to what we do here, except for not booing if the bench players who do bad.

A month or so back, when I went with a lot of other supporters to an away match against Strømsgodset in Drammen, a marching band came onto the pitch immediatly after the half time whistle and started playing "Volare" in that awfull marching band style for the whole break. That was just awfull.
Kesseboy

Post by Kesseboy »

About 45,000 within the, ehr, municipality. Not sure about how many actually live in the city centre. Cince I don't live there anymore, I'm not quite sure how much you see of players around the town, but usually there's quite an upset and a lot of rumours if a player is seen out on the town in the weekends and so. I don't know if any players have joined the fans while watching away games like that, perhaps someone else knows or remembers?

Glimtfølelsen.
Sulliken

Post by Sulliken »

Last year when we played away against ............. (don't remember) It was the weekend after our home win 5-1 over Odd Grenland. Anyway. They sent the mach on web-tv, and Runar Berg sat with us on Da Carlo. Råstad is a likeable fellow that don't mind a chat with whoever. If he recognizes someone he don't know but have met, he might just come up and ask "How are you doing". Our former Right Back player, Kristoffer Paulsen is also a very outgoing guy. My impression on our players in general is that they have a very down to earth attitude. No stars, but just ordinary guys that are lucky enough to earn money on what they love most.
-Faris Moumbagna
Sulliken

Post by Sulliken »

This site WAS the offical site until Glimt.no got themselves new web pages. ut as they said. They want their own forum under their own contol. Glimtforum.net is a private site mede by "Larsen".
-Faris Moumbagna
dalers

Post by dalers »

michzm wrote:show gibson, see what he recons. ill be behind the bench again for that one.
U have to send Chad our best greetings and tell him that we wont forget him in a long, long time up here in Bodø...
Football is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom
Danny Blanchflower, Tottenham 1954-64