More from Leicester City!!

Moderators: Sulliken, Larsen

bocadillo

More from Leicester City!!

Post by bocadillo »

Hello again

I have some questions. I hope you can help me.

Can some body translate the whole of the webpage about the visit of Leicester City for me, please. I think the last bit says that more information will be published later, but I am not sure. Does anybody know anything more about the match yet? (2,000-3,000 is more than we get for pre-season friendlies in England most times!!!!)

The reason why I ask is that Leicester City are still saying that they are not playing in Norway this summer and there is a rumour that Celtic are coming to play in Leicester two days later. I don't think that the team will want to travel from the north of Norway back to England to play a game two days later.

I really would like to come to Bodo (and to any other games that are being played in Norway). If I knew that the game was definitely going to take place, I could get to Bodo for about €100. That is by Ryanair to Oslo and then by train to Bodo. What is it like to travel for 18 hours on the train? Is it comfortable?

Have any of you got 'an ear' at your club? Somebody who you could ask about this game? Have you heard about any other games that we might be playing in Norway?

Lastly, what kind of accommodation can I expect to find in Bodo? The websites only seem to show expensive places like the Radisson. Can I expect to find something more reasonable in price - cheaper!! ? Otherwise, how cold is it to sleep on the street in Bodo?
;-)
from the Garden of England
Tili

Post by Tili »

Translation:

Glimt will play a friendly with the English 1st division team (nah, they haven't caught on with the idiotic new names) Leicester City on Aspmyra stadion on the Sunday before the Tippeliga kick off again after the summer holiday.

"An excellent time for us, as we're playing a good opponent the week before the autumn season starts," says Glimt coach Ola Haldorsen.

Sporting director of Glimt, Tor Ove Falch, hopes people in Bodø appreciate that Glimt are hosting games like these. "Maybe we can have attendances around 2000-3000. That would be really good," says Falch.

Glimt.no will be back with more information on Leicester and this match later on.

As for your other questions, I'll leave them to the locals.
bocadillo

Post by bocadillo »

Many thanks, Tili. I do hope that we can get some answers in time to book travel tickets while they are still cheap.

You are right about the silly names. In England we now have:

The Premiership
The Championship
League One
League Two

It was easier when it was:

Division One
Division Two
Division Three
Division Four
;-)

Do you have many away fans in Norway, or is it like Spain where fans do not seem to travel in great numbers? I think Leicester might have 10 - 20 fans there for the game - providing we know soon that it will definitely be played!
Los-Loco

Re: More from Leicester City!!

Post by Los-Loco »

bocadillo wrote:Hello again

I have some questions. I hope you can help me.

Can some body translate the whole of the webpage about the visit of Leicester City for me, please. I think the last bit says that more information will be published later, but I am not sure. Does anybody know anything more about the match yet? (2,000-3,000 is more than we get for pre-season friendlies in England most times!!!!)
Send a PM to "Børre", he is the one in this forum with closest relation to Glimt.
bocadillo wrote:The reason why I ask is that Leicester City are still saying that they are not playing in Norway this summer and there is a rumour that Celtic are coming to play in Leicester two days later. I don't think that the team will want to travel from the north of Norway back to England to play a game two days later.
Sounds strange, and I'm also a little worried about the fact that only Glimt have announced that they will play against Leicester this summer. Normally when teams from England comes here, they play at least two matches.
bocadillo wrote:I really would like to come to Bodo (and to any other games that are being played in Norway). If I knew that the game was definitely going to take place, I could get to Bodo for about €100. That is by Ryanair to Oslo and then by train to Bodo. What is it like to travel for 18 hours on the train? Is it comfortable?

Depends on what you are used to! Most foreigners do not care so much about the comfort on their first train trip in Norway, because the nature outside is too stunning. They tend to forget about the seats... I believe the standard in our train is not very much different from what you are used to from England.
bocadillo wrote:Lastly, what kind of accommodation can I expect to find in Bodo? The websites only seem to show expensive places like the Radisson. Can I expect to find something more reasonable in price - cheaper!! ? Otherwise, how cold is it to sleep on the street in Bodo?
;-)
There is definetly more cheap accomodation to find than Radisson SAS. Check out the site http://www.bodoe.com. I believe you will find whatever you need there.

Los-Loco have spoken!
"Den virkelige faren er ikke at datamaskiner skal begynne å tenke som mennesker, men at mennesker skal begynne å tenke som datamaskiner!" Sydney Harris

Post by Guest »

bocadillo wrote:how cold is it to sleep on the street in Bodo?
;-)
WERY COLD :glis
Kesseboy

Post by Kesseboy »

bocadillo wrote: What is it like to travel for 18 hours on the train? Is it comfortable?
Depends on what kind of train you'll be travelling with I suppose. I would suggest you make sure to get the day train from Oslo to Trondheim, and the night train to Bodø from Trondheim. It's just my personal take on the matter, because it's preferrable to sleep away some of the 12 hours of the latter journey, than to stay awake all the way. Be advised, though, it never really gets dark when you travel from Trondheim to Bodø in the summer, so if you think you'll have a hard time sleeping on the train--get a book, a big one, and try to enjoy the scenery as long as possible.

One note about the trains and the standard: from Oslo to Trondheim the standard is good. Comfy and spacy, as far as I've experienced. From Trondheim to Bodø, however, the cars are, what, 10-20-30 years older, and not quite as comfy. If you travel by day, STEAR CLEAR of the "Agenda" as it's more of a commuter train--faster, but not very spacy. If you take the night train, you can get the "hvilestol" which gives you a bit more room.
Når du forventer det verste. Venter på at det skal skje. Og så skjer det.

Glimtfølelsen.
Los-Loco

Post by Los-Loco »

Kesseboy wrote:
bocadillo wrote: What is it like to travel for 18 hours on the train? Is it comfortable?
Depends on what kind of train you'll be travelling with I suppose. I would suggest you make sure to get the day train from Oslo to Trondheim, and the night train to Bodø from Trondheim. It's just my personal take on the matter, because it's preferrable to sleep away some of the 12 hours of the latter journey, than to stay awake all the way. Be advised, though, it never really gets dark when you travel from Trondheim to Bodø in the summer, so if you think you'll have a hard time sleeping on the train--get a book, a big one, and try to enjoy the scenery as long as possible.

One note about the trains and the standard: from Oslo to Trondheim the standard is good. Comfy and spacy, as far as I've experienced. From Trondheim to Bodø, however, the cars are, what, 10-20-30 years older, and not quite as comfy. If you travel by day, STEAR CLEAR of the "Agenda" as it's more of a commuter train--faster, but not very spacy. If you take the night train, you can get the "hvilestol" which gives you a bit more room.
Sounds like good advices! Listen to Kesseboy!

Los-Loco have spoken again!
"Den virkelige faren er ikke at datamaskiner skal begynne å tenke som mennesker, men at mennesker skal begynne å tenke som datamaskiner!" Sydney Harris
lloydpat

Post by lloydpat »

bocadillo wrote:Do you have many away fans in Norway, or is it like Spain where fans do not seem to travel in great numbers? I think Leicester might have 10 - 20 fans there for the game - providing we know soon that it will definitely be played!
Some clubs have alot... Vålerenga is the club in norway with the biggest supporter club, also when they are playing away. But regulary it`s about 50-200 away supporters in norwagian "Tippeliga".

What did you think about the movie "Football Factory"?? Is it like that in England?
Nokia

Post by Nokia »

bocadillo

Post by bocadillo »

lloydpat wrote:What did you think about the movie "Football Factory"?? Is it like that in England?
I'm sorry to say that I have never seen "Football Factory". I spend all my time travelling to and from games! ;-) (I have to travel about 600km for each home; perhaps more for away games)

Tell me what it says it is like on "Football Factory" and I will tell you if it's true.
Last edited by bocadillo on Sun May 15, 2005 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dalers

Post by dalers »

lloydpat wrote:What did you think about the movie "Football Factory"?? Is it like that in England?
I think I can answer that question. It is like that for a very small group of the worst of the hooligans. Millwall and Chelscum hooligans are specially famous for their violence behaviour and their rivalry.
Football is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom
Danny Blanchflower, Tottenham 1954-64
K1M

Post by K1M »

bocadillo wrote:I spend all my time travelling to and form games! ;-) (I have to travel about 600km for each home; perhaps more for away games)
600 km :?: :!: You don't mean 60??? :roll:
I kritiske øyeblikk blir man gjerne ukritisk.
bocadillo

Post by bocadillo »

K1M wrote:
bocadillo wrote:I spend all my time travelling to and form games! ;-) (I have to travel about 600km for each home; perhaps more for away games)
600 km :?: :!: You don't mean 60??? :roll:
I mean 600. I live in Sandwich, near Dover where the ferry comes from Calaid in France. The journey is almost 180 miles each way; I think that is about 600km for the return journey. There are lots of fans in England who do not support their nearest club.
DonCato

Post by DonCato »

For a second there I really thought you meant 60 km, witch is considered as a walk in the park here in Norway. But 600 km... Man, that's a bit to travel to se each game. Maybe Bodø/Glimts supporters aren't that unlucky after all...
K1M

Post by K1M »

Wow! Big applause for you bocadillo! :klapp
That's almost the same as Oslo-Trondheim, I think... =P
And you go to every single home-match?!?! And away-matches too?

In that case, I', VERY impressed!!! 8)
I kritiske øyeblikk blir man gjerne ukritisk.
bocadillo

Post by bocadillo »

K1M wrote: And you go to every single home-match?!?! And away-matches too?
I missed three games last season; one at home and two away. "Her indoors" says that we have sometimes to have a holiday. :-)

I know several people who live in London, who have not missed a game for 10 years or more. And one, who lives near Leicester, who has not missed a competitive game (home or away) since 1973.

It is one question whether we enjoy it. It is another whether we are sane.
Los-Loco

Post by Los-Loco »

bocadillo wrote: It is another whether we are sane.
He he, that is probably not a question at all!

Los-Loco have spoken!
FSHelgeland

Why Train???

Post by FSHelgeland »

Hello Boccadillo, why train from Oslo to Bodø? That traintrip is a nightmare, i dont reccomend it for my worst enemy...After you have arrived Torp (Oslo) with Ryanair you can take a bus to Oslo Airport Gardermoen, from there you can travel with Norwegian to Bodø. Norweigan is an lowcost airline company such as Ryanair. Check it out, maybe it wont be more expensive than train. And of course you will find cheaper places to stay.. Radisson sas would be one of the most expensives places. If Norwegian should be to expensive, then good luck with the trip on the train.
Kesseboy

Post by Kesseboy »

If bocadillo here is accustomed to travelling two times 300 kms every other week-end (or more often) then I don't think travelling by train to Bodø will be a huge problem. The distance from Oslo to Trondheim is appx. 500 kms, and Trondheim to Bodø appx. 700 so it'll be like going to see Leicester (as he actually will be) and back again. Just twice, just a bit less "game per mile" :wink:

You can take a look at this, by the way, to get an idea of the geography of it all: phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1570&start=0--it's a map, as you'll see. As Los-Loco points out in the thread, the reality of the map must be somewhat moderated, as it seems to be a projective map. The red circle, for instance, has Bodø as its centre, and the red and blue circles are the same size.
Når du forventer det verste. Venter på at det skal skje. Og så skjer det.

Glimtfølelsen.
bocadillo

Re: Why Train???

Post by bocadillo »

FSHelgeland wrote:Hello Boccadillo, why train from Oslo to Bodø?
I have never been to Norway before. If I travel from Oslo to Bodo by train, I will see something of Norway. If I travel from Oslo to Bodo by plane, I will see the inside of a plane - and the top of some clouds, if I manage to get a seat near the window!

But thank you for reminding of the alternative.
brawno

Post by brawno »

bocadillo wrote:
FSHelgeland wrote:Hello Boccadillo, why train from Oslo to Bodø?
I have never been to Norway before. If I travel from Oslo to Bodo by train, I will see something of Norway. If I travel from Oslo to Bodo by plane, I will see the inside of a plane - and the top of some clouds, if I manage to get a seat near the window!

But thank you for reminding of the alternative.
Travel by train one way, and travel by plane the other way then. :)
Vi e' gul, og vi e' spræk. Heia Glimt!
bocadillo

Post by bocadillo »

Kesseboy wrote:If bocadillo here is accustomed to travelling two times 300 kms every other week-end
It is actually worse than that. In England we have 46 games in the season; we have also had 7 cup games this time. I have been to 50 Leicester games, both home and away, so in the 9-month season, I have had to travel more than once a week.

I live in the south-east corner of England; Leicester is in the middle of the country; about half of the away games were further than Leicester and the other half were nearer. I also have to travel through London, which makes things more difficult

For home games I take the train at about 08:00 and return home just after 22:00. For games in the north, I have to drive 10 miles to another station which has earlier trains. For some games I leave on the 04:38 train and get back at 02:00 the next day.

For evening games and games on a Sunday, I normally have to drive because the train service is too poor. In March I had to drive to both Burnley and to Blackburn in the same week; each of these was a 1,000km return trip.

After I have said all this, Bodo still seems a long way away!!
bocadillo

Post by bocadillo »

brawno wrote: Travel by train one way, and travel by plane the other way then. :)
Muligens en fint begrep!
;-)
FSHelgeland

Post by FSHelgeland »

Hello again Boccadillo, maybe so that you will see a little bit of Norway throug the windows of the train... But still? What a way to see Norway... If i were you( Who i am not...) I would have traveled by plain, and experienced the beauty of Bodø,You will save so much time travveling by plain, so you have so much of it spending to get to know the city of Bodø... and, its better to see a little bit of Norway live than a lot of it through a window, if you know what i mean..
Finally i hope you pardon my lousy english, but still.... I hope you understand me.

Best regards Freddy..
Pekri10

Post by Pekri10 »

bocadillo wrote:Lastly, what kind of accommodation can I expect to find in Bodo? The websites only seem to show expensive places like the Radisson. Can I expect to find something more reasonable in price - cheaper!! ? Otherwise, how cold is it to sleep on the street in Bodo?
;-)
Looking for cheap accommodation a hostel is allways an option. Take a look at this:
http://www.vandrerhjem.no/index.jsp/len ... &vhjemid=7
Noe resignert medlem av DGH don´t wannabes (Glimt i sør) http://www.glimtsupporter.com og
Scandinavian Hammers http://www.westham.no