The Athletic (+): Bodo/Glimt: A Norwegian fairytale based on ‘overtraining’, reinvention and ‘X-factor players’

Discuss different Glimt-related topics in english.

Moderators: Sulliken, Larsen

J I P

The Athletic (+): Bodo/Glimt: A Norwegian fairytale based on ‘overtraining’, reinvention and ‘X-factor players’

Post by J I P »

From Kieran Devlin's twitterpost
Interviewed Bodo/Glimt's assistant manager Morten Kalvenes about their remarkable story from relegation strugglers to winning consecutive, record-breaking league titles - and how, helped by going deep into European football, that story is still growing.

Hidden behind a payment wall we find this article:

By Kieran Devlin 09th March 2022

The fairytale almost came to a premature end last summer.

After their incredible 2020 Eliteserien title win, in which they broke records for points accumulated (81 from a possible 90) and goals scored (103 in 30 league games) in a Norwegian top-flight season, Bodo/Glimt were struggling to replicate those highs during the first few months of the 2021 campaign.

They were knocked out of the Champions League first-round qualifiers by Legia Warsaw, and by matchday 11 of 30 they were 6th in the league table. With three Europa Conference qualifiers still to navigate before reaching the group stage, and winning only four games in nine during June and July, cynics were revising Glimt’s miraculous 2020 as an anomaly — that the Arctic Circle-based club who historically yo-yo-ed between the bottom half of the table and the second-tier 1. divisjon, had had their moment in the limelight.
Medlem av FK Bodø/Glimt
Medlem av GLIS
Sesongkort på J
Stående, syngende og ikke like billettlaus i London (heia Arsenal)